On February 14, 2017 John Wettlaufer, a 77 year old man from Woodstock was a victim
of a break and enter to his apartment on Burtch St. in the City of Woodstock. The
suspect stole several Canadian Armed Forces medals and pins from the aircraftsman
1st class veteran.
Since the theft Constable Kevin DeClark from Woodstock Police who is also a Corporal
of the Canadian armed forces organized community partners in an effort to retrieve
some of the medals and pins.
The community partners are, Albert Sinke from Oxford Source for sports who donated
an engraved commemorative plate, Constable DeClark connected with the Veterans Advocate
from Alberta for assistance and built the case the medals are displayed in. Pte.
Stephen J. Smith is a historian for the Royal Canadian and was able to work with
the chair of the Royal Canadian Legion to get some of the pins and medals replaced.
On Friday, March 10, 2017 DeClark and Smith presented Mr. Wettlauffer with the plaque.
- Woodstock Police Service: 519-537-2323
- Crime Stoppers: 519-421-TIPS (8477) or toll free at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477)
- Website: www.woodstockpolice.ca
- Domestic Abuse Services of Oxford: 24 hour crisis line at 1-800-265-1938
- Victim Assistance Services Oxford County: 519-537-2824
- Canadian Anti Fraud Centre: 1-888-495-8501 or
- Counterfeit Money: