It is with great sadness that we announce that after three generations, Jacksons
Fisheries will be permanently closed as we do not have a fourth generation to carry
on. We would like to thank all of our amazing customers, restaurants and staff for
all of your support, loyalty and shopping local over the past 45+ years. Port Stanley
has always been good to us and we were very happy to be apart of this amazing little
town. - The Jacksons
We are sorry to learn on social media that L.R. Jackson Fishery will be closing
their doors forever, after three generations of leadership in the Great Lakes commercial
The Jackson Fishery began operation at Nanticoke before the Great Depression of
the 1930's. Brothers George and Roy Jackson started fishing Lake Erie with a small
boat. Hard work earned them success and they soon went to George Gamble in Port
Dover to have a new boat constructed for them. The builder thought himself to have
a bit of a sense of humour and he spelled the name of the new boat backwards.....the
NoskcaJ, when it was launched in 1937.
It wasn't long before nobody in the industry spelled their name backwards again.
The brothers expanded again and again, buying up many boats and building new ones.
With their sons, Larry and Ed, and Bill, they came to dominate the industry on Lake
Erie and Lake Huron.
Larry and Bonnie and their young family came to Port Stanley in the early 1970s
and were a part of the expansion of the industry as it enjoyed some of its best
years. Together, Larry, Bonnie and their children injected new investment and ideas
into the Main Street business area. A large processing plant was built at the south
end of the street. In the 1980's Jacksons purchased the fishery of Wilson and Loder
and subsequently constructed a restaurant on the site with an inspiring view of
the harbour and the boats that caught the fresh perch and pickerel served at the
tables. Jackson's Wharf brought new elegance to the dining scene in this village.
In addition to the twin-diesel tug the G.W. Jackson that was built in 1964, Larry and Bonnie
also commissioned Kanter Yachts to build the L.R. Jackson, one of the largest fishing
vessels on the Great Lakes.
As other producers sold out after the introduction of the Quota System in 1984,
Jacksons became the only producer in Port Stanley offering fresh fish to the public.
Their son, Joe, entered the fishery and has been captain of the G.W. Jackson for
decades. Larry & Bonnie's daughter in-law Tammy ran the store for the past 13 years
alongside Joe & their 3 children. Larry served a term on the Village Council and was
always supportive of every good measure to improve the village.
Scores of men and women have been employed by Jackson Fisheries in Port Stanley
over the decades, as many as 16 at any given time. John Cook has been a stalwart
shore manager for many years. Other noted employees included John MacLeod, Brenda
Tilly, Shawn Cook, the Currie brothers, Ted Greenside (still making nets at age
94) and too many other Port Stanley residents to list here.
On a personal note, we would like to say that we have been associated with the Jackson
family since the early 1970's, before they moved here from Port Dover. We have always
found them to be hard working and eager to help others, a credit to their family,
the community and the wider network of commercial fishing people all over the Great
We will miss their presence on the waterfront in this village but we wish them well
and extend a heartfelt thanks for their many years of service.