Call for Nominations-Re-wild The Family
Call for Nominations: Re-wild The Family
St. Thomas - The Kettle Creek Environmental Trust (KCET) is inviting nominations
for families that need to be re-wild.
"Over 45% of Elgin County residents reported being inactive. And, there is a 14%
drop in the number of Canadian kids that actually play outside after school. KCET
wants to help people reconnect with nature," says Don Ferguson KCET's President.
So, starting this week KCET is seeking nominations for families to re-wild. The
Trust will choose up to seven lucky families that will be given the opportunity
to spend a free weekend at Dalewood Conservation Area – learning the joy of camping.
Seven families will be chosen based on their demonstrated need to reconnect with
nature. Nominators are asked to describe the family's nature deficit as a result
of financial need, social hardship or other unique circumstance. In each case the
families must be new to camping.
"The idea was presented to the Community Foundation's 100 People Who Care Initiative
last year," says Ferguson. "And they agreed that this was a unique opportunity to
help our local community. It is a great health-in-all initiative. Meaning we have
green infrastructure available to enjoy locally at little to no cost, but the health
benefits you receive in return are priceless."
The families chosen to be re-wild will be provided with a free weekend of camping
at Dalewood Conservation Area, a mentor for the weekend to teach them how to pitch
a tent, build a campfire, cook a meal and all the equipment so they can repeat the
experience on their own.
Nominations are being accepted until April 31, 2017 with winners announced May 18,
2017. Complete rules and nomination forms are available on KCET's web site www.kettlecreektrust.com.
Individuals and organizations are welcome to nominate families.
Re-Wild the Family Nomination Form
Entry Nomination Deadline: April 31, 2017 at 4:00 p.m.
Winners Announced: May 18, 2017
Please read these rules and instructions carefully, and complete the registration
form. If you have any questions, please contact Elizabeth VanHooren at 519-631-1270
ext. 221. Entry nomination forms can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org
Participation is open to all residents within the boundaries of Elgin County.
- Participants must be nominated to enter. You may not nominate yourself. Nominees
must have an Elgin County address and consent to the nomination.
- Entry is free, there are no fees associated with this competition.
- Nomination must be received no later than 4:00 p.m. April 31, 2017.
- Nominations will be reviewed and considered by Kettle Creek Environmental Trust.
The decision of the Trust is final.
- Contact information of the nominator and nominee is required and collected for the
sole purpose of contacting winning families.
- For the purposes of this Nomination Form and the Re-Wild program a family consists
of two adult caregivers plus minor dependents (dependents/children bust be less
than 18 years of age).
- Families chosen to be Re-Wild will be required to sign a camping permit at Dalewood
Conservation Area and will be held to the campgrounds rules and regulations at all
- Families chosen to be Re-Wild will be required to sign a Waiver.
- Successful families will be provided a 2 free nights of camping on a 15 amp camp
site on July 8 and July 9, 2017. Offer is not transferable to a different family
than the one nominated and cannot be transferred to a different weekend. Nominated
families must be available to participate in the Re-Wild experience on July 8 and
July 9, 2017.
- Any equipment provided to the families is not refundable and has no cash value.
- Kettle Creek Environmental Trust and Kettle Creek Conservation Authority are not
responsible for the safety of the participants or their belongings.