Back again with another exciting show is one of Port Stanley's favourite annual
rites of Spring, the Port Stanley Artists' Guild Show and Sale, which opened at
the Legion on Friday night, June 2nd, 2017. It runs Friday, June 2nd, 6 – 9 pm,
Saturday June 3rd, 11 am – 8 pm, and Sunday June 4th, 12 – 5 pm.
The new collection of works, shows how the artists have all taken some new twists
and turns in their growth as artists, and much of it is pretty impressive stuff.
What you like in art is an extremely personal matter of taste and there is a wide
range of styles and mediums in this show to appeal to a wide range of tastes. Importantly,
all of it is well done.
This year's Judge was Deborah Worsfold. Deborah Worsfold is a painter and teacher
living in London Ontario. She studied watercolour, drawing, pottery & stained
glass at Fanshawe College.
- B17G Flying Fortress by Judy Ross: Judge's Comments: Unusual surreal captured
- There Will Be Miracles by Kim Hughson: Judge's Comments: Original use of
- Lake Louise by S'ine Maule: Judge's Comments: Good restraint in brushwork.
- Pacification by Sharon Veldstra: Judge's Comments: Brilliant and believable
- Port Stanley February by Marcia Pensa: Judge's Comments: Divine colour.
- Frozen Farmland by Vic Roschkov: Judge's Comments: Animate fluid rich.
- Algonquin Park by Pat Curtis: Judge's Comments: Fantastic challenging compelling.
- Winter Sunset in Port by Jo Wilkinson: Judge's Comments: Glorious and animate
use of colour.
- DC-3 Over Duck Pond by Candy McManiman: Judge's Comments: Outstanding palette,
- Borders - Scotland by Margaret Munn: Judge's Comments: Proficient brushwork,
- Life is Good by Heather Keating: Judge's Comments: Nice variance in technique,
- Garden Suite by Penny Crichton: Judge's Comments: Resists feeling contrived.
- Untitled by Aganetha Sawatzky: Judge's Comments: Interesting motif.
- From the Hill by Mary Gullis: Judge's Comments: Brushwork is animate.
- Camp Clothesline by Sharron Russell: Judge's Comments: Strong narrative composition.
- Elgin Panorama by Robin Baratta: Judge's Comments: Good restraint in texture.
- Cenote Abstract by Sandra England: Judge's Comments: Rich colours.
- Shining Through by Diane Dobson: Judge's Comments: Presentation is resolute
- Indigo Bunting on Rose of Sharon by Sandra Deluca: Judge's Comments: Interesting
- Shield #1 by Joseph Sawicki: Judge's Comments: Strong tactile element.
- Fused Clock by Vivian Tserotos: Judge's Comments: Compelling, design outshines
Still to be announced are the People's Choice Award (chosen by vote of patrons who
visit the show) and the Member's Choice Award (chosen by the member artists of the
Port Stanley Artists' Guild).