June 30, 2018, Port Stanley, ON - Today at Port Stanley's Christ Church there was
a War of 1812 Veteran Dedication Ceremony to honour the service of two veterans
of the War of 1812, Lieutenant Colonel Henry Bostwick and Lieutenant Colonel John
Bostwick. Members of the Historic Military Establishment of Upper Canada addressed
the crowd bringing to life the history of the War of 1812 and of these veterans
remarkable stories. The Port Stanley Legion Colour Parade was also on hand supporting
the War of 1812 veterans. Plaques were unveiled by several Bostwick descendants.
Henry Bostwick was a lieutenant colonel in the 1st Oxford Militia during the War
of 1812. Members of this regiment were at the Capture of Detroit in 1812, the Battle
of Nanticoke Creek, the Battle of Lundy's Lane in 1814, and the Battle of Malcolm's
Mills in 1814.
John Bostwick was a deputy-surveyor that laid out some of the earliest roads in
the Talbot Settlement and in 1804 was granted 600 acres at the mouth of Kettle Creek.
At the outbreak of the War of 1812 he volunteered for service in the militia. As
captain of a flank company of the 1st Norfolk Militia, he quickly acquired experience
at the capture of Detroit in August 1812. In September Major-General Isaac Brock,
in a request for reinforcements from Talbot, who supervised the militia in the London
District, declared, "You cannot send a better Captain than Bothwick." Two months
later his company took part in the battle of Frenchman Creek, near Fort Erie, suffering
severe losses and earning the praise of Lieutenant-Colonel Cecil Bisshopp. At Nanticoke
12 months later, after British regulars had withdrawn to the head of Lake Ontario,
Bostwick narrowly escaped being shot in the capture of a band of marauders by a
volunteer force under his brother Henry.
After the War of 1812, he settled on that 600 acres at the mouth of Kettle Creek
which in time became the village of Port Stanley. John Bostwick also represented
Middlesex in the legislative assembly between 1821-1824. He donated the land for
the Christ Anglican Church which was completed in 1845, and is buried in its churchyard.
Information for this article was provided by - Alan G. Brunger, "BOSTWICK, JOHN,"
in Dictionary of Canadian Biography, vol. 7, University of Toronto/Université Laval,
2003–, accessed June 30, 2018,