Port Stanley Foodland
The Bluffs Golf Club
Port Stanley Festival Theatre 2019 Season
Century 21 First Canadian Corp
Jeff Yurek, MPP
Foodland Weekly Specials

Port Stanley News RSS Feed  News Jacksons Fisheries Closing


Frank and Nancy Prothero
Jacksons Fisheries Closing

On Jacksons Fishmarket Facebook Page

It is with great sadness that we announce that after three generations, Jacksons Fisheries will be permanently closed as we do not have a fourth generation to carry on. We would like to thank all of our amazing customers, restaurants and staff for all of your support, loyalty and shopping local over the past 45+ years. Port Stanley has always been good to us and we were very happy to be apart of this amazing little town. - The Jacksons

We are sorry to learn on social media that L.R. Jackson Fishery will be closing their doors forever, after three generations of leadership in the Great Lakes commercial fishing industry.

The Jackson Fishery began operation at Nanticoke before the Great Depression of the 1930's. Brothers George and Roy Jackson started fishing Lake Erie with a small boat. Hard work earned them success and they soon went to George Gamble in Port Dover to have a new boat constructed for them. The builder thought himself to have a bit of a sense of humour and he spelled the name of the new boat backwards.....the NoskcaJ, when it was launched in 1937.

It wasn't long before nobody in the industry spelled their name backwards again. The brothers expanded again and again, buying up many boats and building new ones. With their sons, Larry and Ed, and Bill, they came to dominate the industry on Lake Erie and Lake Huron.

Larry and Bonnie and their young family came to Port Stanley in the early 1970s and were a part of the expansion of the industry as it enjoyed some of its best years. Together, Larry, Bonnie and their children injected new investment and ideas into the Main Street business area. A large processing plant was built at the south end of the street. In the 1980's Jacksons purchased the fishery of Wilson and Loder and subsequently constructed a restaurant on the site with an inspiring view of the harbour and the boats that caught the fresh perch and pickerel served at the tables. Jackson's Wharf brought new elegance to the dining scene in this village.

In addition to the twin-diesel tug the G.W. Jackson that was built in 1964, Larry and Bonnie also commissioned Kanter Yachts to build the L.R. Jackson, one of the largest fishing vessels on the Great Lakes.

As other producers sold out after the introduction of the Quota System in 1984, Jacksons became the only producer in Port Stanley offering fresh fish to the public. Their son, Joe, entered the fishery and has been captain of the G.W. Jackson for decades. Larry & Bonnie's daughter in-law Tammy ran the store for the past 13 years alongside Joe & their 3 children. Larry served a term on the Village Council and was always supportive of every good measure to improve the village.

Scores of men and women have been employed by Jackson Fisheries in Port Stanley over the decades, as many as 16 at any given time. John Cook has been a stalwart shore manager for many years. Other noted employees included John MacLeod, Brenda Tilly, Shawn Cook, the Currie brothers, Ted Greenside (still making nets at age 94) and too many other Port Stanley residents to list here.

On a personal note, we would like to say that we have been associated with the Jackson family since the early 1970's, before they moved here from Port Dover. We have always found them to be hard working and eager to help others, a credit to their family, the community and the wider network of commercial fishing people all over the Great Lakes.

We will miss their presence on the waterfront in this village but we wish them well and extend a heartfelt thanks for their many years of service.

Last Updated: Saturday, 07 April 2018 09:33:05 AM EST

Follow Us

Monday, April 22, 2019 | | Welcome Guest !

Copyright © 2004 - 2019 Port Stanley News.com All Rights Reserved ISSN 1718-8695